Combining classic Hangouts and Chat policy management
Google is combining the Admin console settings for Hangouts Chat and classic Hangouts. This will make it easier to manage your policies and make sure they’re configured appropriately. The new settings will be located at Admin console > Apps > G Suite > Hangouts Chat.
Why you’d use it
These Admin console settings help you dictate how your organization uses G Suite messaging products. For example, you can set policies for chat history, external user chats, and third-party integrations (bots). With this update, you only need to go to one place to control all the chat settings for your organization. This can help to simplify deployment and ensure policies are set up as desired.
How to get started
- Admins: View and control the new settings at Admin console > Apps > G Suite > Hangouts Chat. Use our Help Center to learn more about managing Hangouts Chat in your organization.
- End users: No action needed.
Note, Google will not be making any changes to your effective settings—only the location and presentation of the settings will change. Clicking “Chat Settings” from the classic Hangouts page in the Admin console will redirect you to the Hangouts Chat settings page. From there, you’ll find all of the settings that control chatting across both classic Hangouts and Hangouts Chat.
The specific policies affected by this change, along with details of the impact of the change, are shown in the Help Center. The new policies can be customized for each organizational unit (OU).
Additional details on the function of the settings and what products they apply to are provided in the Admin console interface.
The new combined settings in the Admin console
You may interested:
- Use the Google Assistant with your G Suite account in beta
- Smart Compose for Google Docs launching in beta
- Use Google 2-Step Verification and risk-based login challenges with 3rd-party identity providers
- Additional tools for enhanced reporting in Google Sheets
- See changes in Google Docs over time with Compare Documents
- More admin control over Apps Script projects with Google Cloud Console management