Drive file suggestions in Google Chrome will be generally available beginning in December
Earlier this year, Google announced a beta for Drive file suggestions in Google Chrome. This will start rolling out to customers beginning on December 16, 2019. Prior to this date, we recommend admins review and adjust the new setting in the Admin console that controls this feature. For more information on this setting, see below.
Drive file suggestions in Chrome allow users to search their Google Drive files directly from the Chrome URL bar, instead of drive.google.com. Currently, this functionality is limited to files that users have previously opened in Chrome. Starting on December 16, 2019, users who restart their browsers will be able to search for any Drive files that they have access to, including ones they haven’t previously opened in Chrome.
Admins and end users
Why it’s important
Starting December 16, 2019, Drive file suggestions in Chrome will be enabled by default for your organization. There is a new setting in the Admin console that allows admins to control access at the OU or group level for this feature. When “Allow Google Drive file suggestions for signed in users whenever a search is performed” is selected, users can modify their individual search settings in Chrome to enable or disable Drive file searches.
If you leave Drive file suggestions in Chrome enabled, users who are signed in and opted in Chrome sync will see Drive suggestions in the Chrome URL bar for their synced account (Chrome version 69 and above). To learn what sync settings users can manage and how they’re managed, as well as how to enable or disable Chrome Sync, see Google’s Help Center.
Google recommends reviewing and adjusting the new setting in the Admin console that controls this feature as needed. See below for instructions on how to modify this setting, or visit Google’s Help Center.
How to get started
- Prior to December 16, 2019, review and adjust the dedicating setting in the Admin console that controls this feature as needed. See Google’s Help Center to learn more.
- End users: If file suggestions are enabled in your domain, you can turn drive file suggestions on or off in Chrome browser:
- Open Chrome Browser and go to More > Settings
- Under People, click Sync.
- Turn on or off Google Drive search suggestions.
This feature will be available to users signed into a Chrome profile on any operating system: Chromebook, Mac, Windows, etc.
You may interested:
- Create shortcuts in Drive with a new beta
- Work smarter with the new Priority page in Drive
- Launching new Google Drive / Microsoft Outlook integration, shutting down legacy plugin
- Google Drive: Intelligent Search and quick access
- New Team Drives role and names, plus a migration update
- New Drive file suggestions in Chrome launching in beta