Google Workspace allows Folder sharing in shared drives now generally available
Quick launch summary
You can now share folders in shared drives. Previously, this feature was available in beta.
Shared drives empower teams and organizations to store, access, and collaborate on files. With this launch, you can share a specific folder with other users, or upgrade member access to provide users with additional permissions on specific folders within shared drives.
At launch, the feature is available via Drive on the web, the Drive API, Drive File Stream (v. 42+) and the latest Google Drive apps for iOS (v. 4.2020.36202+) and Android (v. 2.20.321+). It will be available through the native file system on ChromeOS with an upcoming release.
See the beta announcement for more details and examples of how you could use the feature.
Some updates and reminders from the beta post:
- Commenter role available in My Drive: In order to align My Drive and shared drives, ‘Commenter’ roles will now be available for folders in My Drive. Previously, only Viewer and Editor were available.
- Manager role required to move folders between shared drives: As explained in our previous post, moving folders between shared drives are only allowed for users who are managers on both the original as well as the target location.
- Admins: This feature will be available for all domains with Shared Drives enabled. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to manage shared drives for your organization, and how to use folder sharing in shared drives.
- End users: This feature will be available to all users with shared drives. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to store and share files with shared drives.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on September 16, 2020
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 6, 2020
- Available to G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, G Suite for Education, G Suite Enterprise for Education, G Suite for Nonprofits, and G Suite Essentials customers
- Not available to G Suite Basic customers