Greater protection and control with three Gmail security tools
We’re making three Gmail security features generally available (GA). The features were previously in beta. Check out the linked announcements for more information on each:
- Security sandbox, which detects the presence of previously unknown malware in attachments by virtually “executing” them in a private, secure sandbox environment. Learn more.
- Advanced phishing and malware protection, which provides new controls to place emails into a quarantine, protect against anomalous attachment types, and protect your Google Groups from inbound spoofing emails. Learn more.
- Gmail confidential mode, which provides built-in information rights management controls in your emails by allowing senders to create expiration dates and revoke previously sent messages. Learn more.
Admins and end users
Why you’d use it
When you deploy and manage security tools at scale, you can more effectively protect your users from threats. With these features now in GA, everyone in your organization—from admins to end users—is more secure.
How to get started
- Security sandbox: Note: available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education editions only. Find and turn on the beta security sandbox feature at Admin console > Menu > Apps > G Suite > Gmail > Advanced settings. Use our Help Center to find more information on how to detect harmful attachments.
- Advanced phishing and malware protection: Find and control these features at Admin console > Menu > Apps > G Suite > Gmail > Safety. You’ll find new options for anomalous attachment and groups spoofing protections, and see the quarantine option available for all controls. Use our Help Center to learn more about how to enhance phishing and malware protection.
- Gmail confidential mode: This feature is on by default so no action is required to get started. To disable the feature, navigate to Admin console > Apps > G Suite > Settings for Gmail > User settings.
- End users:
- Security sandbox: No action needed.
- Advanced phishing and malware protection: No action needed.
Gmail confidential mode: Follow the steps in this Help Center article to send and open confidential emails.