Important changes to less secure apps and account recovery management in the Admin console
Google is making some updates to how you manage less secure app (LSA) settings and account recovery (AR) settings in the Admin console. This is part of a wider migration of our Admin console pages to a simplified and more streamlined experience, and will affect the sections at Admin console > Security > Settings > Less Secure Apps and Admin console > Security > Settings > Account Recovery. In those sections you may notice:
- An updated interface, which reorganizes the settings to make them easier to find and change.
- A new system to apply group-based policies in these areas. As a result of this change, existing settings will be migrated to the new system. See “Additional details” below for more information.
Why it’s important
- The interface updates will make security settings more findable and scannable, reducing the number of clicks it takes to manage these settings. The new group-based policy system is the same one used in other areas of the Admin console and so should be more familiar and intuitive than the legacy system. The new system allows for multiple group based policies to be applied in a single UI view, and makes it possible to manage policies exclusively using groups, instead of a combination of OU-based policy with group-based exceptions.
- Available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, and G Suite Enterprise customers
- Not available to G Suite for Education, G Suite Enterprise for Education, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
- Not available to users with personal Google Accounts
As part of migrating LSA and AR pages to the new UI, we will migrate any currently applied group-based policies to the new groups-based system. This migration will have no functional impact for most customers
However, for a very small number of organizations (specifically those that currently have group based policies for LSA and AR applied at child-OU levels,) this transition may impact your existing settings. We will email the primary admin at affected domains with more details on how we will do the transition, and instructions for how to prepare. If you don’t receive an email, no action is required.
Admins: Existing policies will be migrated to the new group-based policy system automatically unless you’re notified by email (see “Additional details” above). Visit the Help Center to learn more about using groups to manage Admin console settings, controlling access to LSAs, or setting up account recovery for users.
End users: There is no end-user impact unless admins change settings applied to them.
Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on March 11, 2020.
Available to all G Suite customers
You may interested in:
- Drive file suggestions in Google Chrome will be generally available beginning in December
- Put your archive data on ice with new storage offering
- Revamped My Devices page will help users find and manage their devices
- Networking cost optimization best practices: an overview
- Manage apps accessing G Suite data with new app access control
- How Google Cloud Platform helps you take command of your threat detection