New Gmail compose formatting and download options
We’re adding three new features to Gmail:
- Shortcut to undo/redo in the compose window
- Shortcut to strikethrough text
- Ability to download messages as .EML files in rfc822 format from Gmail on the web
Why you’d use it
- Undo/Redo: If you need to undo an action, like if you accidentally delete the content of your draft of an email, you can do so straight from the compose view. Anytime you have undo, you want to also have the option of redo, so we’ve added that as well.
- Strikethrough: Strikethrough is a visual cue that something has been completed or can be used as an edit suggestion. We’ve heard from you that this functionality is critical to quickly and efficiently write emails, especially when you want to visually indicate a change in language.
- Download as .EML: This format is recognized by other email clients, allowing you to view the Gmail content along with attachments within these clients. In addition, with this functionality users can now add these downloaded messages as attachments in their emails.
How to get started
- Admins: No action necessary.
- End users – new compose formatting: Click on the formatting menu in the Gmail compose window.
- End users – new download format: Open the overflow (three dot) menu and select “Download message.”