New sharing dialog for Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms
Google is updating the interface you use to share files from Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms on the web. This will replace the previous interface used to share files and manage members of shared drives. These changes will make it easier to share files only with specific people without expanding access beyond what’s needed.
Why it matters
Sharing files is critical to collaboration. This is especially true now, as more workforces are remote and collaborating on files from different locations. By making it easier to share files with specific people, Google hope to improve collaboration while reducing the risk of access by unwanted users.
Google has made several changes to the sharing experience. These make it easier to perform common tasks, avoid accidental permission changes, and quickly see who has access to a file. Specifically you may notice:
- Separated, task-focused interface: The new sharing dialog highlights essential user tasks like sharing a file, changing permissions, and viewing file access. The redesign also visually separates sharing with people and groups from link-sharing.
- Quick “copy link” button: We’ve added a “copy link” button to make it easier to get the link without changing link permissions.
- Easily see current access: The new interface more clearly shows who currently has access to the item, making it easier to quickly audit and change permissions.
The new sharing interface for Google Drive and Docs editors files
The old sharing interface for Google Drive and Docs editors files
- Admins: This change will take place by default. There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. Use our Help Center to learn more about how to share Google Drive files.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on April 28, 2020
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting May 26, 2020
- Available to all G Suite and Drive Enterprise customers, as well as users with personal Google Accounts
- G Suite Admin Help: Manage shared Drives users and activity
- Google Help: Share files from Google Drive
- This feature was listed as an upcoming G Suite release.
You may interested:
- Featured launch: Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise generally available to help protect high-risk users
- See encryption status and security patch level for devices with basic mobile management
- Control session length for Google Cloud Console and gcloud CLI
- Accelerating industry transformation with the power of AI
- Additional tools for enhanced reporting in Google Sheets
- Featured launch: Admins can now see and edit user recovery information