Office editing mode is now the default editing mode for Office files in Drive on the Web
We’re changing the default editing mode for Microsoft Office files in Google Drive on the web. Now, when you double-click on an Office file, it will open directly in Office editing mode in.
Previously, double clicking would open a preview of the document, from which users could choose whether to open in Office editing mode or download the file. You can still use the preview mode by right clicking the file and clicking “Preview,” or by pressing ‘P’ on the keyboard while double clicking the file.
Why it’s important
This change makes it quicker to open and start editing documents. Users can directly edit, comment, and collaborate on Office files using the familiar interface of Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, with changes automatically saved to the file in its existing Office format.
- This change will apply to all compatible Office file types, including .docx, .doc, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm
- Password protected Office files will not open directly in Office editing mode. These files will continue to open in Preview mode.
- If the “Office Editing for Docs, Sheets & Slides” Chrome extension is installed, we will redirect to the extension and not to Docs, Sheets, or Slides. This is the same as if you select “Open with” today.
Getting started with Office editing mode in Drive
- Admins: This feature will be ON by default. There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This change will take place by default when opening compatible Office files in Drive on the web. You can still use the preview mode by right clicking the file and clicking “Preview,” or by pressing ‘P’ on the keyboard while double clicking the file. Visit the Help Center to learn more about working with Office files in Drive.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 27, 2020
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on November 30, 2020
- Available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers and users with personal Google Accounts.