Ransomware WannaCry warning and how to avoid
WannaCry has spread to 74 countries around the world, including Vietnam, over the weekend and severely impacting many company and corporations. Along with Gimasys to learn about this malicious code and how to avoid and ensure IT security under onslaught of WannaCry!
What is WannaCry?
WannaCry ransomware is a malware that attacks computer/devices via attached file in email or malicious Link. WannaCry will encrypts and blocks access to files of infected computers and devices. Also, take advantage of SMB technological gap, WannaCry can spread to other Windows machines on the same local network.
The attacker will demand for a ransom to be paid within a certain period of time. Else, files will be fully destroyed.
Who are affected?
Computers running on Microsoft Windows operating systems (XP/Vista/Windows 8/Windows 10). Some cases occur on Mac OS operating systems
Advisory from Expert
- Be vigilant towards suspicious emails.
- Do not click on unknown links nor download suspicious attachments from email or social media.
- Be cautious of the websites you are visiting
- Back-up important files in your Google Drive.
- Sending and receive email on Webmail platform
- Make sure your Antivirus are up to date (also in your home or personal computer).
- Check if the latest Windows update has been applied (including your home and personal computer).
Should there be any suspicious activity on your device, kindly report it immediately to your respective IT Security Group.