Use the new Google Meet web app for better meetings on desktop devices
Google has launched a new Google Meet standalone web app. This Progressive Web Application (PWA) has all the same features as Google Meet on the web, but as a standalone app it’s easier to find and use, and it streamlines your workflow by eliminating the need to switch between tabs.
The PWA runs on any device with Google Chrome browser version 73 and up (version 73 was released in March 2019). This means it works on Windows, MacOS, Chrome OS, and Linux devices.
Google Meet PWA app (far right column, second down) in app launcher screen
Meet PWA app opened for a meeting
- Use our Help Center to automatically install the progressive web app for users or manage PWA access.
- Alternatively, you can allow users to install the app themselves, just make sure users can install Chrome Browser extensions.
- End users: This app will not be available until installed on a user’s device. Visit the Help Center to learn how to download and use the Meet progressive web app on your computer.
There will also be an offer to try the Google Meet web app in the upper right-hand corner of the main Google Meet opening page
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 26, 2021
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on August 2, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers and users with personal Google Accounts.