Breakout rooms in Google Meet to more Google Workspace customers
Quick launch summary about breakout rooms in Google Workspace
Last month, we launched breakout rooms in Google Meet to G Suite Enterprise for Education customers. We’re now making breakout rooms available to Google Workspace, Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus customers, as well as G Suite Business and Enterprise for Education customers.
In addition, we’re introducing the following new features to improve your experience in breakout rooms:
- Ask for help: Participants can ask for help when they are in a breakout room, and the moderator can see the request from the moderator panel and join the breakout room.
- Timer/countdown: The moderator can set up a timer for a breakout session. Participants will see a banner to keep track of how much more time they have in the breakout room. They’ll also be alerted when there are 30 seconds left so that they can wrap up the discussion and, when time is up, participants will be prompted to go back to the main call.
- Additional supported participants: Dial-in phone participants can now be assigned to breakout rooms. Starting in two weeks, anonymous users will also be able to be added to breakout rooms.
Getting started with breakout rooms in Google Workspace
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be available by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using breakout rooms in Meet.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: This feature is available now for all users.
- Available to Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Business and Enterprise for Education customers.
- Not available to Workspace Business Starter, as well as G Suite Basic, Education, and Nonprofits customers.